At Sydney Olympic Park, we facilitate world class education in environmental sustainability, sport, health and the arts. Our uniquely diverse environment offers a wide range of learning opportunities for all ages and learning needs. With over half a million students visiting Sydney Olympic Park each year, the site is alive with learning activity on any given day.
Our curriculum based school excursion programs are outcomes-driven, hands-on and engaging. With a focus on Education for Sustainability, they’re tailored for Kindergarten students through to Year 12. A particular feature of our program calendar is the Youth Eco Summit, a major annual sustainability education event hosted at Newington Armory.
We provide accredited Professional Development activities for teachers. Sustainable management of 430 hectares of parklands give us areas for scientific research, the findings of which are shared through Wetlands Education and Training Workshops held throughout the year.
For visiting delegations we offer Technical Insight Tours customised to specific areas of enquiry such as Olympic legacy, sustainable development and site/venue management. The Wetlands Eco Challenge provides business and conferencing groups team-building with a difference. The Authority also facilitates a local Sustainability Advantage business cluster in partnership with the Office of Environment and Heritage.
Delivery of field excursions are our core business. Our reputation for excellence in environmental education has been built over 23 years of service provision, originating in Bicentennial Park just after it opened. The Authority’s highly qualified education team continues to utilise the amazing wetlands of Sydney Olympic Park to deliver unforgettable learning experiences. Each year we deliver environmental excursions to more than 25,000 students from over 400 government and non-government schools. Our operations are underpinned by strong shared values of social inclusion, stakeholder engagement and program integrity.
Our core Education Objectives are to:
- provide environmental education programs of the highest quality and relevance
- fully activate the natural and built assets of Sydney Olympic Park for education
- enable increased access to our programs by regional and remote communities of NSW
- encourage and enable the participation of students and groups with priority needs
To achieve these objectives, our education business activities include:
- mapping our programs to state and national syllabus outcomes
- fostering multi- sector education and industry partnerships
- reaching new communities through video conferencing
- engaging corporate industry in unique Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives
- enhancing existing programs with field work innovations and learning technologies
- attracting and facilitating relevant education events
- attracting and developing program delivery staff of the highest calibre
- facilitating and quality assuring third party provision of education programs at our site